Chelsea have picked up just one win in their last four Premier League games. They have in fact drawn their last two league games, leaving them six points off league leaders Manchester City. However, Chelsea did win their midweek League Cup tie 2-0 against Bretford.
While Steven Gerrard has turned Aston Villa’s fortunes around. Since his arrival at the club, they have picked up 12 points from six league matches. Villa currently sit 10th in the Premier League table with 22 points from 17 league games so far.
The Chelsea faithful will certainly be hoping to get their title challenge back on the road. While Aston Villa will be hoping to cause an upset and keep the decent run of form under their new manager going.
- Aston Villa beat Chelsea 2-1 at home last term. Villa’s last successive league home win over Chelsea was back in April 2004.
- The European champions thrashed Aston Villa 3-0 in the reverse fixture earlier this term.
- The Lions have won their last three Boxing Day league fixtures.
- Chelsea coming into the fixture after successive draws in the last two league games.
- The blue have kept a clean sheet in their last two games in all competitions. They conceded 11 goals in their last six games prior to this.
Marvelous Nakamba who has been ever-present in the starting line-up this term is ruled out of the clash due to an injury. Forward duo Leon Bailey and Bertrand Traore remain to be on the sidelines and are ruled out of the clash.
Chelsea duo Callum Hudson-Odoi and Romelu Lukaku have returned to training after the Covid-19 setback. But will most likely be on the bench and could be called upon if things start to go south for Thomas Tuchel.
Trevoh Chalobah is also back from the knock he picked up against Wolves and should return to the starting line-up. While Hakim Ziyech is a major doubt with a calf problem. Kai Havertz and Ruben Loftus-Cheek both tester positive for Covid-19 last week and are major doubts for the clash.
Aston Villa predicted lineup
Martinez; Cash, Konsa, Mings, Targett; McGinn, Luiz, Ramsey; Buendia, Young, Watkins
Chelsea predicted lineup
Mendy; James, Chalobah, Silva, Rudgier Alonso; Jorginho, Kovacic, Kante; Mount, Pulisic
Follow us on Twitter for regular football updates.