The 1st Test match between India and New Zealand was a cracker of a game. Though the match ended in a draw, the thrilling contest between the two-Test giants has made the ICC WTC equations way more interesting.
The inaugural ICC WTC edition was a successful campaign and is seen as the resurgence of Tests. The format of the tournament is complex and new, so let’s take a look at it.
- Teams will be ranked in accordance to the percentage of points.
- A team will be awarded with 12 points for a victory(100%)
- For a tie , the team gets 6 points(50%)
- If the match endes in a draw , the team will get 4 points.(33%)
- In order to tackle slow over-rates, teams will lose 1 championship point for each over short.
India now stands at 2nd position on the points table of ICC WTC. After the Kanpur Test India are currently with 30 points in their kitty. On the other hand, the Kiwis opened their account with 4 points on their opening encounter in WTC.
India will now aim to clinch a series win at Wankhede and improve their points tally.
Brief scores: India 345 (Shreyas Iyer 105, Shubman Gill 52, Ravindra Jadeja 50; Tim Southee 5-69) and 234/7 declare. (Shreyas Iyer 65 W Saha 61*; Kyle Jamieson 3-40, Tim Southee 3-75) drew with New Zealand 296 (Tom Latham 95, Will Young 89; Axar Patel 5-62) and 165/9 (Tom Latham 52; R Ashwin 4-40
Follow us on Twitter for more updates.