Manchester United turned down chance to sign Kalidou Koulibaly

- Advertisement -

Manchester United reportedly turned down the chance to sign Napoli star Kalidou Koulibaly this summer. 

United’s priority this transfer window was bolstering their defence. After months of rumours, the Red Devils eventually signed Raphael Varane from Real Madrid for an initial fee of £34 million. 

However, this was not before they tried to sign Koulibaly. According to Corriere dello Sport, United made an offer but were put off by Napoli’s asking price.

Manchester United are said to have offered Napoli £30 million for Koulibaly, but the Italians wanted £34.1 million including bonuses for the 30-year-old. 

Did Manchester United miss out on Koulibaly?

Koulibaly has been a long-term target for the Manchester club, and was available for £72 million last summer. However, his asking price dropped this year in the wake of Napoli’s financial problems due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

United will not be too disappointed in missing out on the chance to sign Koulibaly, having managed to bring four-time UEFA Champions League winner Raphael Varane to Old Trafford. Varane is also two years younger than the Napoli defender. 

Keeping Koulibaly at the club seems to have paid off though. Napoli are one of three clubs alongside Roma and AC Milan to have won all three of their Serie A games so far this season. The most recent of those victories saw Koulibaly score an 85th-minute winner in a 2-1 victory against Juventus. The centre back headed home from just a few yards out.

Manchester United turned down chance to sign Kalidou Koulibaly, Six Sports

Koulibaly joined Napoli in 2014 on a five-year contract, for a fee of around £6.5 million. Ahead of the 2015-16 season, the Senegalese was linked with a move to Premier League club Southampton. But, he eventually stayed at the club. Koulibaly then went on to become a regular starter for Napoli under coach Maurizio Sarri. He saw an improvement in his performances and has often captained the side as well.

Koulibaly has on a number of occasions talked about his desire to retire at Napoli. He also said that a departure would only occur due to an economic decision made by the club.

Please follow our Twitter page for more updates. 

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -
20,680FansLike
1,068FollowersFollow
516FollowersFollow
- Advertisement -

Must Read

Manchester Arsenal

Manchester United vs Arsenal: Match preview, team news, and predicted line-ups

Manchester United will host Arsenal at Old Trafford and Michael Carrick is confirmed to be in charge of Manchester United and not Ralf Rangnick....
Shreyas Iyer

Dream debut for Shreyas Iyer is going to be a selection headache

Shreyas Iyer made his test debut in the first test against New Zealand. The right-handed batsman had an excellent start to his career as...
Manchester United announced on Monday that Ralf Rangnick would take over as the interim manager until the end of the season.

Manchester United interim manager Ralf Rangnick update

Manchester United announced on Monday that Ralf Rangnick would take over as the interim manager until the end of the season. The German manager...
Everton vs Liverpool: Match Preview

Everton vs Liverpool: Match preview, team news, and predicted line-ups

The Game Week 14 of the Premier League will take place over the midweek starting on Wednesday. This GW will continue throughout the midweek,...
Chelsea 1-1 Manchester United: Player Ratings

Chelsea Player Ratings for a close draw against Manchester United| Silva rated 9

Here we have with us the Chelsea Player Ratings after their frustrating draw against Manchester United. The game featured the Blues taking on the...
Watford vs Chelsea: Match Preview

Watford vs Chelsea: Match preview, team news, and predicted line-ups

The Game Week 14 of the Premier League will take place over the midweek starting on Wednesday. This GW will continue throughout the midweek,...
Liverpool consider €50 Million January Offer for Jarrod Bowen

Liverpool consider €50 Million January Offer for Jarrod Bowen

Jurgen Klopp is supposedly interested in signing Jarrod Bowen in January, with Liverpool mulling a €50 million bid. Liverpool have identified Jarrod Bowen as a...
- Advertisement -