With the FA Cup third round fixtures set to kick-off, Tottenham Hotspurs host League One side Morecambe at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Sunday.
Tottenham come into the clash after a disappointing 2-0 defeat in the League Cup semi-final first leg against Chelsea. Spurs currently sit 6th in the Premier League table with 33 points from 18 league games. Spurs also have two games in hand compared to most of the sides above them in the league table.
While the League one side are currently well and truly in a relegation scrap. Morecambe fail to win any of their final six games of 2021. They currently sit 19th in the League One league table, having picked up 23 points from 24 league games so far this term.
Sunday’s clash will be the first-ever clash between Tottenham and Morecambe in any competition. Both the Morecambe and neutral fans will be hoping for an upset and a Morecambe win.
- This will be the first-ever meeting between Spurs and Morecambe.
- Spurs have progressed in each of their last 20 FA Cup ties against sides from the third tier or lower.
- This will be just the third time Morecambe have faced Premier League opposition in the FA Cup.
- Tottenham have been eliminated at this stage of the FA Cup in just one of the last 15 campaigns.
- Morecambe have won four of their last five FA Cup matches.
- Spurs manager Antonio Conte has reached the FA Cup final in both of his previous campaigns in the competition.
Cristian Romero and Steven Bergwijn are set to miss out on the clash. While Ryan Sessegnon may be back in the starting line-up after returning from injury. Pierluigi Gollini, Joe Rodon, Tanguy Ndombele and Bryan Gil are likely to get a start in the starting line-up.
While youngsters like Harvey White, Dane Scarlett and Dilan Markanday may also feature in the clash and earn valuable minutes.
Morecambe have signed Jacob Bedeau and Trevor Carson in the January transfer window and Carson is likely to get a start. While Josh McPake has returned to parent club Rangers.
McCalmont remains a minor doubt for the clash. But Aaron Wildig could feature instead of McCalmont. Stockton made a return from injury in the last game and is likely to start the Spurs clash.
Tottenham predicted lineup:
Gollini; Tanganga, Rodon, Dier; Doherty, Winks, Ndombele, Sessegnon; Alli, Gil; Scarlett
Morecambe predicted lineup:
Carson; McLaughlin, O’Connor, Gibson, Leigh; Wildig, Diagouraga, McLoughlin; Obika, Stockton, Gnahoua
Follow us on Twitter for regular football updates.