Joao Cancelo has revealed that leaving Manchester City is a ‘risk’ on the deadline day. The 29-year old Portuguese International completed a season-long loan move to Barcelona on the deadline day of the summer window. Moreover, Cancelo spent his the second half of the previous season with Bayern Munich after a training session bust-up.
Joao has not featured in any competitive match for Manchester City since a 2-1 loss to Manchester United last January. The Portuguese was not involved in the squad for the FA Community Shield, Premier League and UEFA Super Cup matches. However, he featured in the pre-season for City. Cancelo is under contract at the Etihad until 2027. Bayern Munich rejected the chance to sign him on a permanent deal. Thus, a deal for Barcelona became possible.
Joao Cancelo says he loves taking risks on leaving City
Joao has made three appearances for the Catalans, starting in a 5-0 win of Barcelona over Antwrep in the Champions League on Tuesday. The Portuguese has admitted in an interview with Mundo Deportivo that leaving Manchester City is a ‘risk’. He said;
“Yes, it’s risky, but my life has always been a risk. I always like to take risks, in my social life I am also like that. I have to thank Manchester City, so far I have had the best moments of my career there.“
“I had the opportunity to be in the FIFA eleven last year, which for me was another dream. And that is thanks to my Manchester City teammates, the coach, Pep, his staff, who are a very good group, very united and you can see that.”
“Manchester City is the best team in the world, yes, but when Barcelona calls you, you have to go. I really wanted this club.”
Joao Cancelo may face Manchester City in the knockout stages of the Champions League if both the clubs qualify for the next round. Man City started their defence of the Champions League with a 3-1 win over Red Star Belgrade at the Etihad Stadium on Tuesday night.
For more sports update, follow us on Twitter.