With Matchday 22 of the Premier League set to kick-off, 2nd placed Liverpool host Brentford who sit 13th in the league table at Anfield on Sunday.
Liverpool come into the clash after a disappointing 01-0 draw against 10-man Arsenal in the EFL Cup semi-final on Thursday, Last time around in the Premier League, the Reds only managed a 2-2 draw against fellow title challengers Chelsea. But Liverpool still have a game in hand compared to Chelsea and could rise above the blues in the league table if they win their game in hand.
Liverpool Premier League form: WWWDLD
While Brentford come into the clash after two successive matches that ended 4-1. The bees won their FA Cup third-round fixture against Port Vale 4-1. However, Thomas Frank’s side suffered an embarrassing 4-1 defeat at the hands of Southampton on Wednesday.
Brentford Premier League form: DWLLWL
Jurgen Klopp’s side will be hoping to grab the three points available and keep up with Manchester City in the title race. While Brentford will be hoping to continue their good form against top sides in the league this term and cause an upset.
Liverpool vs Brentford Key facts
- This is the first time Liverpool are hosting Brentford since a FA Cup quarter-final tie back in March 1989. The reeds won the clash 4-0 back then.
- While Brentford have lost their last five away matches against Liverpool.
- The reds are winless in their last three league games.
- The reds have also failed to win their last two home games against newly-promoted sides in the league.
- Only one team of the last 17 has managed to win their debut game at Anfield.
- The reds are without a clean sheet in their last four league games.
- While Brentford have kept no clean sheets in their last five league games.
Liverpool are set to be without three-star players in Salah, Mane and Naby Keita who are involved in the AFCON. While the likes of Nat Phillips, Thiago Alcantara, Harvey Elliott or Divock Origi are all ruled out of the clash. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is likely to start ahead of James Milner in the middle of the park. While Minamino looks set to start in attack.
Brentford have a lot of players missing for the clash. The likes of Josh Dasilva, David Raya, Charlie Goode and Mathias Jorgensen are all ruled out of the clash. But left wing-back Rico Henry could make his return and make the bench for the clash. Frank Onyeka is unavailable due to his involvement in the AFCON.
Liverpool predicted lineup:
Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Van Dijk, Tsimikas; Henderson, Fabinho, Oxlade-Chamberlain; Jota, Firmino, Minamino
Brentford predicted lineup:
Fernandez; Ajer, Jansson, Pinnock; Canos, Janelt, Norgaard, Jensen, Henry; Toney, Mbeumo
Follow us on Twitter for regular football updates.