League One side Shrewsbury travel to Anfield to face Liverpool in the FA Cup 3rd round clash for the second time in this decade on Sunday.
Shrewsbury made an incredible comeback from 2-0 to 2-2 last time they faced Liverpool in January 2020 to force a 4th round replay. Liverpool won the 4th round replay 1-0 at Anfield.
Shrewsbury have looked solid in recent weeks. The League One side has won three of their last four league matches to establish themselves in the mid-table of League One. The League One side will be hoping to cause another upset, just like they did in January 2020.
While Liverpool have had their League Cup semi-final clash against Arsenal postponed due to a covid-19 outbreak at the club. The reds are also without some key star players who are involved in the Africa Cup of Nations.
- The reds have faced FA Cup in two previous campaigns. eliminating the Shrews in the fourth round in both 1995-96 and 2019-20, the latter after a replay.
- Shrewsbury Town have won their last two away FA Cup matches, beating Stratford Town and Carlisle United this term.
- While Liverpool have only lost two home FA Cup matches against sides outside the top-two tiers of English football.
- Shrewsbury have been eliminated from the FA Cup by Premier League opponents in five of the last six seasons.
- Liverpool have progressed from nine of their last 10 FA Cup third round ties.
Alisson, Firmino and Matip should all be back in the starting line-up after their Covid-19 setback. While reposts suggest that Liverpool’s goalkeepers were hit particularly hard by this week’s outbreak. This could open the door for Loris Karius to make his first start for Liverpool since the 2018 Champions League final.
Nat Phillips, Thiago Alcantara and Harvey Elliott are all ruled out of the clash. While attacking duo Takumi Minamino and Divock Origi are minor doubts ahead of the clash. But the Liverpool starting line-up is likely to consist of mostly fringe players and youngsters.
For Shrewsbury, Tom Bloxham looks set to return to this starting line-up after his three-match suspension. Daniel Udoh is a major doubt after coming off injured in Shrewsbury’s last game.
Liverpool predicted lineup
Alisson; Bradley, Gomez, Konate, Robertson; Jones, Morton, Milner; Gordon, Firmino, Minamino
Shrewsbury predicted lineup
Marosi; Pennington, Ebanks-Landell, Pierre; Bennett, Vela, Davis, Leahy; Whalley; Bowman, Bloxham
Follow us on Twitter for regular football updates.